Ghee has been used in India for thousands of years. It is a digestive, helps to improve absorption and assimilation. Great for improving memory, and lubricating the connective tissues. It increases ones immunity and vital energy (Ojas).
How to make ghee recipe
1 pound unsalted butter (preferably organic)
- Put butter in a heavy pot and turn heat on medium until butter melts.
- Turn down the heat until the butter just boils, do not cover the pot.
- The butter will foam, sputter and get clouded for a while and then begin to quiet down.
- Stir occasionally.
- After around 12 minutes it will turn into a golden, clear color. Whitish curds will be formed on the bottom of the pot. Keep stirring, and when these whitish curds turn into a light tan color, the ghee is ready.
- Take it immediately off the heat to avoid burning.
- Let it cool down till it is just warm. Pour the ghee through a fine sieve into a glass jar with a tight lid.
- Discard the curds at the bottom of the pan.
After you become more familiar with making ghee you can use 2-3 pounds of butter at a time.
Ghee is best stored at room temperature and is said to get better with age, such as fine wine. The key however, is to always use a clean spoon when taking Ghee from the jar.
Caution: If you have already high cholesterol or suffer from obesity, you should be cautious in using ghee.